Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you


I’ve told you who we are, how we met, and I’ve talked a little bit about the “waiting” period, so now I think it’s time to share our proposal story:

It was a Thursday night after our weekly beer tasting, and we went to check on the progress of our house renovations. This was all very normal as it had been our Thursday routine for a while. When we got out of the car, Kyle suggested we go check the basement for water damage since there had been some heavy rain showers a few days before. As we were walking around to the backyard (it’s a walk-in basement), I noticed a bright light and once we got back there I saw that there was a brand new fire pit with a roaring fire and a vase of flowers with a note in front. Kyle told me to go check it out and so I walked over and picked up the note. I opened the note upside down at first because I was so nervous and then turned it around and read “Goose, Will you marry me? <3 Bear” I turned around and Kyle was on his knee with the most beautiful ring I could ever imagine (he may have had a little guidance). At this point I was crying and he had to verbally ask because I wasn’t doing a great job of processing the situation. Obviously I said yes! We called our family and friends, went out for sushi, went to a former college roommate’s apartment (BM Rooms) to show off the goods and called it a night. 

This now sits on a shelf in our bedroom. Love that he used our nicknames <3


OH! I forgot to mention that while Kyle was on his knee but after I said yes, bright flashes started coming from the rundown shed in our backyard. It turns out Kyle had gotten a friend to come by and light the fire and then hide so he could take pictures. I am so thrilled that Kyle set this up and that we have a picture of the big moment.

I promise I have on clothes under my trench coat...

I have to tell you guys though that I was completely oblivious. We had discussed getting engaged in depth so I knew it was coming at some point, but I figured if it was on a Thursday he would do it at our beer tasting to catch me completely off guard. The funniest part though is that Kyle had to stall like crazy because his friend was stuck in traffic for the longest time. I did not pick up on anything; not even “Hey, let’s drive by my new hair place so we can time the drive from there to the house.” I mean, really, I was clueless. Apparently, I’m just not very aware. It doesn’t matter though, everything was perfect and I was completely surprised.

Showing off my sparkly a few days later

I promise to post actual ring pictures when I have something better than a cell phone picture.

Did you know your proposal was coming or was it a surprise? Were you as oblivious as I was?

*All photos personal





No comments:

Post a Comment