Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The best things in life are free...diamonds are not


Now that you know who we are and how we started dating we can get to the juicy details of the ring and the proposal; first, though, a little backstory. Kyle and I started seriously discussing marriage about 14 months into our relationship. [Note: Yes, this is first time I’ve mentioned the Mr.’s name. I wasn’t sold on sharing but I figured it makes more sense to share than to keep you guys in the dark when you already know my name.] Anyway, a couple of months after we started talking about marriage we decided to stop off at a jewelry store to look at rings on our way to a Sara Bareilles concert. I had looked on-line and had two specific rings that I wanted to try on. Want to see? Okay, since you twisted my arm! 

                                                                                                                     

Going into this I thought the first ring was THE ONE. It was so simple and classic and when I tried it on it was so…underwhelming. The second one however, I fell in love with. The stones in the band, the single simple center stone, the scalloping ahhhh I die. Then we asked the price. Helloooo, sticker shock!

We both kind of felt like this

While this kind of put a damper on things, especially since Kyle’s company had closed down not too long before and he hadn’t yet found another job, everything turned out all right in the end. I ended up finding my dream ring which was different than the previous two and I could not be happier. Of course, I would be happy with a ring out of a Cracker Jack box as long as it meant I was marrying my love.

Did you have sticker shock while diamond shopping?



1 comment:

  1. Adam (I was hesitant to use his name at first too!) and I actually never went diamond shopping. He had his brother's help and they did a great job together. I had been giving him a hard time about getting married (we had our 8th dating anniversary in Nov) and had been looking at some rings online to see what I liked. I would pretty much blow off anything over 1500 because I didn't see any need to spend that much money on a ring. Well Adam thought differently, I guess. If I had known how much he was planning on spending, I would have told him not to. However, now that I have the ring (which I love!) and the money's already been spent, I can't say that I'm disappointed!

    ReplyDelete