Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Don't You Forget About Me


First thing is first:


Oh Psych, how I love you so. Thanks, youtu.be!

Anyway, once we got engaged and secured a date we needed to figure out a way to make sure people didn’t forget about the biggest party of the year ;) Enter: Save the Dates. I am so sorry but I just can’t use the abbreviation. I love abbreves (Happy Endings, anyone?) but I cannot keep a straight face for this one. Maybe I’m stuck in junior high but just bear with me, please and thank you.

We knew right away that we didn’t want anything with our picture on it. I wasn’t really sure about having our mugs plastered on people’s refrigerators even though these kinds of save the dates can turn out amazing.




I didn’t really have a clear picture of what I wanted. Add to that the confusion after browsing tons of super adorable and amazing creative save the dates:

Boarding Passes! Perfect if we were having a destination wedding. (Source)

Love this (Source)

So cute and creative! (Source)


Love the simplicity of this one (Source)

And then one day I stumbled upon this beauty:


I. Love. These. We decided that we would attempt to DIO (do it ourselves) and just a warning, it did not go well. First, we decided that we would make kraft sleeves and have a green insert with white ink on both parts. In case you didn’t know, you can’t really just go print white ink. On top of that, Kinkos cannot print on the amazing linen paper that we had chosen. So, we decided to print in green ink on the sleeve and screen print white ink on the inserts. We decided to sew the front and back of the sleeves together instead of gluing and then we decided to cut out a rectangle on the front for the date on the insert to show through. Yes, it was ambitious and in the end it started to look too arts and craftsy.

Personal photo of save the date fail #1 before we started on the cut outs


Our second attempt was to make sleeves out of the green linen card stock and glue them together. I was still determined to have white ink on the kraft inserts so Kyle started making a screen print. After a couple of days, I nixed these too. It was just way too much trouble and it was taking too long.

Personal photo of save the date fail #2 and The Great Gatsby playing with a lamp

At this point I was frustrated and just ready to be done with the whole thing. We were already a month past the deadline we had set and had spent way too much time cutting and printing.

Stay tuned next time for a look at what our save the dates actually ended up looking like. 

Did you have a DIY project that turned out to be a major failure?




No comments:

Post a Comment